Happy New Years!
I am thrilled to start this new year. A new year is a new beginning, a fresh start. I had a whole blog typed and ready to publish as soon as the clock struck 12, but of course I did not hit the save button and there that went. So, I had to rewrite this post again. NBD even though I worked on the other one for about 2 weeks!! I guess the first lesson of the year is to do it now and don’t wait.
Recapping 2017, many things happened, some great and some not so great. I lost a job I had for about 4 years, but that powered me to start my little photo booth rental company; Flux Photobooth Company. I also crossed off starting my blog, even though I kind of went left after my semester started, I had Daysofkimberly.com in my mind always. 2017 toughened me up. So now I hope 2018 brings more of those lessons, to become a better me.
Starting off the new year, we should get our vibes right. One of my lessons learned in 2017 was start strong and finish strong. I want to share 5 ways to use January as a gateway to an awesome, prosperous year, with good vibes only!
1. Clean & Organize
Of course, when starting anything we must prep. By cleaning and organizing, we can physically declutter. We usually tend to let go over the holiday. Making sure we clean out the old to make space for the new is a great way to start a new year.
- Scan and shred any papers you might have and put them in a 2017 folder.
- Go through your emails, unsubscribe from anything that is oversaturating your inbox.
- Clean your computer files.
- Scrub your apartment.
- Reorganize furniture.
- Donate any old clothes to a Salvation Army or a Goodwill.
Reflecting is imperative so that we understand what we need and don’t need in 2018. When self- reflecting make sure you are in a quiet space, on your own time. This may take an hour or 2 weeks. Reflecting is different for everyone so don’t feel rushed if you are stuck. When self-reflecting I usually ask myself a few questions that would lead me into making the right goals for the new year. Think of a reflection like a self-assessment. See where you are at and where you want to be.
- What were my highs of the year?
- What are my lows of the year?
- What did I learn?
- Who am I grateful for?
- Who is toxic in my life?
- What do I need to improve on?
- My strengths and weaknesses
- What are my accomplishments?
- What didn’t I get to accomplish?
- Any unfinished projects or projects I never started? Do they still interest me?
- Am I happy with what I am currently doing?
- How is my health?
- How is my faith or spiritually?
- How do I feel?
3. Self Care
Self-Care is something we need to focus on. Since we wear many hats, we usually leave ourselves for last, or probably don’t even consider ourselves sometimes. Self-care is making sure that you are the best you so that you can accomplish all your goals. Setting up a few minutes a day, week, or month that are yours and only yours. This will revitalize you and bring you back better to your responsibilities stronger than ever.
- Read a book
- Get a massage
- Go outside, enjoy nature, sightseeing
- Turn off your phone
- Go shopping
- Write in your journal
- Hot bath
- Take a new class
- Go on a vacation
- Work on your Inspiration board
- Eating something healthy
- Eat something yummy!
- Dance around
- Watch a comedy
- Enjoy a play
4. Inspiration Board
Seeing is believing. If you are a visual person then take some time to plan out your goals and your vibe for the year on an inspiration board. Keep your board somewhere you will see it every day. Remember this is a project that you should take your time on. This is a visual of what you want your year to be like. It is important to not rush through it or be unrealistic. Take your time picking out things that mean a lot to you. You may want to include.
- Colors to set the mood
- Inspirational and motivation quotes
- People you may admire
- A place you may want to visit
- Things that make you happy
- A selfie of you smiling
5. Goal Setting
Goal setting is a map to accomplishing what you want in 2018. Without goal setting we have no focus or direction. Our goals should be true to ourselves. After reflecting, we will have a better idea of what we want out of this new year. Setting goals and sticking to them give you a better chance of making sure 2018 is your best year yet! When goal setting, we should keep a few things in mind.
- Write them down and review them each day or at least once a week.
- Make sure the goals motivate you
- Why is this goal valuable to you?
- Goals should be specific and measurable.
- Break the goal down into multiple steps.
- Set deadlines for goals.
Hope you guys find these helpful!
Have a healthy and prosperous New Year!